Beginning

I am a gourmand, not a gourmet, a food lover, not a food snob.
I hope to share my love of food with you through narratives, restaurant recaps,
menu suggestions, and recipes. Bon appetit!
(And if you blog about food, are you "flogging"?)

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Donut Memories


Undoubtedly you’ve had this experience: the plate of food in front of you becomes a portal through time and space, and one bite can send you hurtling back to a moment in your past.

That has happened to me many times, but most recently the trigger was a dessert at NoJa in Mobile, Alabama (more about that later), called the Ginger Donut which featured two deep-fried, sugar-and-ginger encrusted donuts stacked on each other, topped with a quenelle of a chicory-flavored semi-freddo and drizzled with a burnt-sugar sauce. The donuts were warm and crispy, and the semi-freddo had a wonderful not-too-sweet, eggy taste.

Those donuts made me recall in vivid, mouth-watering detail my grandmother’s homemade donuts.

My grandmother, Grandma T we called her, was the daughter of Norwegian immigrants and a devout believer in the ability of food to communicate love. When she offered us seconds and thirds, saying, “Have some more,” which sounded like one word--“Hassummore”-- my four siblings and I knew early on that she really meant “I love you.”

During my childhood in northern Wisconsin, a family ritual on Sundays was to go to our grandparents’ house for an after-church snack which might be chewy molasses cookies, a slice of apple pie, ginger cream cookies drizzled with vanilla icing, or, my favorite, fresh, deep-fried cake donuts and donut holes.

Grandma T’s donuts emerged from their hot oil bath to rest briefly on a bed of flattened brown paper grocery bags. Then, still glistening, they were tossed into a smaller paper bag full of cinnamon-sugar to emerge fully clothed.

And that first bite. The hot, greasy, sugary crust gave way to a chewy cake that had a hint of nutmeg. It is my personal, but unprofessional, opinion that the inner-tube design of donuts was intended to maximize the surface area of fried, sweet goodness.

Now I know there some people who prefer the raised donut, especially here in the South where Krispy Kremes are king, and I know that in my adopted state of Louisiana the beignet is almost a holy sacrament, but I stand by my commitment to the cake donut.

"Hassummore!"

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you remember the baked beans in the oven when we went to Grandma's after church on Sunday? That was always my first choice over the doughnuts. Her house always smelled like a big gas bomb.

    Love, K.

    ReplyDelete